Readings: Isaiah 7:10-16 and Matthew 1:18-25
Although we are so familiar with the story of a virgin giving birth, re-enter the story as if you were hearing it for the first time. Ponder how God fulfills his promises in unexpected ways. What Mary and Joseph were hearing, receiving from divine messengers was humanly inconceivable! Mary and Joseph become examples for us of audacious faith in God, his word and their own experience of his word despite their limited understanding.
- In what ways does the gospel narrative of Mary and Joseph’s reception of God’s word birth renewed faith in God in your own life?
- How might the reminder of Jesus’ coming to save us from our sins be received as a gift to you this holiday season?
- What places in your heart or life do you feel the need for freedom from habits of sin? Consider spending time in a practice of confession before God as you receive God’s gift of forgiveness.
- Are there places in your life where you feel lonely, abandoned or disappointed? Hear again the name of Jesus: Immanuel, God with us. Take his promise and presence to heart.
– Elizabeth Khorey and Michelle Sudduth